St Paul's Cathedral - Virtual Tour
© 2007 Armchair Travel Co. Ltd. - This page may be used for non-commercial purposes ONLY!
Save as Microsoft Print
At the west end of the North Transept is the large marble font of St Paul's Cathedral. It was carved in 1726-1727 at a cost of £350 by Francis Bird - the stonemason who was responsible, among other things, for the huge sculpture which adorns the pediment outside the west end of the Cathedral: the Conversion of St Paul. It is carved in blue-veined Italian marble, which has a yellowish tint. The form, with its deeply scooped gadroons, is unusual and more closely resembles grand items of table silver than a font.